Thursday, October 4, 2012

Being "The One"

I nannied for years. I was paid to care for the children of others for nearly ten years. I had many different families in those years. Some I thought I loved. I took care of some of them through the best and worst, from weeks old to school age. No matter the family or the kiddo one thing is 100% ubiquitous. When a child wants mom there are no real substitutions. You can be the best babysitter/aunt/best friend in the world and it.does.not.matter. Mom is mom. Accept no substitutions.

I now have a daughter of my own and I have to tell you, I love being "Mom". I love finally being "the one". Tonight we put R down to bed and she awoke two hours later screaming and upset. We both had flu shots yesterday and I suspect she is teething so I gave her some baby motrin. She fell asleep in my arms and as I tucked her in under her fleecy blanket I sighed relishing the simple moments where just being mom is the soothing element she needs. I know they are fleeting and because of that, I make a point to be actively thankful for the chance to be enough just by "being"and knowing where the motrin is.

No comments:

Post a Comment