Friday, May 11, 2012

Hunger Games ** Warning! Lady Bits Post**

I have to start with the disclaimer that I have not read the books or see the movie.  I figure I will wait out the craze and get to the books eventually and probably see the movie about the time Ramona is leaving for university.  No, this is a different kind of hunger games....

I went to the midwife this week and had an IUD placed.  I opted for the copper one without the side of crazy making hormones.  It sucked going in but not because the insertion was bad, because speculums suck in still healing vaginas and the one Linda used was big and cold and sucky.  She used numbing gel on my cervix so that didn't hurt at all.  It is really just the very odd sensation of tugging and shuffling around down there that is straight up disconcerting.  I have heard friends say similar things about Cesarean birth.  There is something very "Gack" about feeling outside forces move around visceral tissues or tissues that you have never seen face to cervix(?) and you are unaccustomed to having moved around in such a way.  Anyway, we had a good appointment.  The IUD went in without any trouble and I didn't pass out or vomit this time.  Linda asked how everything else was going and we said "great!  Sleep regression and total lack of sex drive were just what we were hoping for and dreaming of when we pictured parenthood".  She smiled and nodded knowingly and said "Ahh yes.  This is very common.  50%-70% of women experience a significant lack of interest.  There is the hormonal aspect but there is also the fact that you have a baby on you almost all of the time.  You don't have the same "skin hunger".  You aren't longing for physical touch the way we do when we exist more in our own bodies.  Right now your body is not your own and sometimes you just want to NOT be touched.  Its all very normal.  Sex WILL come back into your lives.  Rest assured."  Reason #986 why I fucking love that woman.  She stands there in the office doorway nearly six-feet tall in an awkward 1980's pastel tunic top and a blazer with shoulder pads that are entirely superfluous for her solid build and she quotes statistics and studies and she makes me feel like I am smart, important and most importantly of all, NORMAL.  She is not a flowery person but she has a way of comforting you that feels deeper than squishy words.  It is like her belief in women and in nature and science is so strong it is contagious.  So yeah, long story endless, I love her.  I am happy to have my IUD in place and hearing her say that actually made me feel a little spark of romance for G.  Normal is sexy :) I may not have the skin hunger that once drove me to want to snuggle and cuddle him for hours on end but I have a hunger to feel that way about him and that seems to be a very good place to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment