Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Veggie Stock Tutorial

I have a little underground soup business I am starting up. I will be delivering late night soup to my buddies at the ED for dirty cheap in hopes of earning enough cash to cover my running habit or my Weight Watchers membership....either way : ) I did a lot of reading about making cheap stock as I will be spending waaaay too much $$ on stock otherwise. Today I decided to take a crack at veggie stock. Here is what I did....

1. Buy a soup sock. This is a meshy thing that expands and is safe to boil.
2. Round up all the shit you haven't used from your farmshare that is starting to turn unsightly.
Eggplant, carrot, broccoli, onion, celery tops, Swiss chard, garlic, you get the point...
3. Wash and cut up above items and shove them into the sock sprinkle salt, pepper and several bay leaves in the pot.
4. Cover with hot tap water and place on stove. Achieve rolling boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 2-3hrs. DO NOT STIR!!!! If you stir this stuff the broth will cloud. Just fight the urge and leave it be.
5. Gently remove sock and strain broth. Boil with lid off for 20-60min to reduce the water content and concentrate the stock for more compact storage.
6. MAKE SOUP!

Enjoy!
-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment