Monday, September 27, 2010

He IS human afterall...

So the man has been sick MAYBE a total of 3 times since we met 3ish years ago. He has called in truly ill a total of 0 times since we met. He is not normal. I have seen him ill however, it is almost always self inflicted and usually secondary to him trying to keep pace with some large fire fighter who has an easy 100lbs on him. He doesn't drink that much that often so when he goes all out it usually doesn't end well. Anyway, today's post is not about binge drinking or drinking at all really. Today's post is about how my husband has a sensitive little girly stomach now that all of the wedding/school/ house buying stress is over. Poor thing has been intermittently nauseated and loose in the caboose for the past week. Yesterday night he went to work feeling a bit prodromal and upon arriving home this morning reported full blown grossness. Poor guy had been in and out of the bathroom all night. I got all maternal on him and forced some vitamin c and toast into him assuming that he was likely empty and putting a little something in that hyperactive angry pit would improve things. Not 5 min after I said "finish half of that toast and drink the vitamin C stuff" he was in the bathroom returning to sender. Poor kid!

This afternoon we woke up and he was requesting yogurt and ginger ale. Probiotics are good! Fizzy gingery love in a liquid form is good! He kept it in pretty well but it did not last long. I got up and headed to the store for reinforcements. I gathered the usual artillery OJ, Reed's Ginger Beer, avocado for the day after, coffee for me. Then I found myself in naturopath land. It is a strange and magical place filled with expensive supplements I find myself highly skeptical of. Two employees approached me and asked if I needed any help. I thought what the hell? Let's see what they think would work for (likely largely stress induced but also likely somewhat viral) GI upset. One girl started in on dietary things and adding more kale and barley to his diet and including psyllium husks to yogurt etc...etc... I stopped her and informed her that he was sort of unable to eat much of anything currently and that I was probably looking for something more along the lines of ginger tea or other soothing agents. She started telling me about aloe shakes and how important natural anti-inflammatories are to healing an angry stomach. The man is pretty darn liberated and pretty darn enlightened. He also happens to be a great sport most of the time especially when it comes to trying my whacked out food ideas. He once thought he didn't like beets until one night, too exhausted to look at his food, he ate 2 giant bowls of beet stew and L-O-V-E-D it. Anyway, I digress. The point is that no matter how good a sport he is he is not going to go for me grinding up an aloe plant and serving it to him over crushed ice when he is feeling WELL, let alone when he is broken at both ends. The other girl seemed to sense this and started showing me some ginger supplements. She showed me some pills and some gels and then showed me this stuff pictured above. It is about the consistency of maple syrup and has some honey in it. I put a tablespoon into a glass of raspberry fizzy water and as I sit here he is finishing the last of it. I will be anxious to see how he does trying some food food but he seems a little less green in the gills already. The store girl also said it is her favorite cure for hangovers. I'll keep you posted on that too.

I am not into spending oodles of cash on naturopathic remedies. I think homeopathy is largely psychosomatic (don't get all angry, I still insist on trying it EVERY time I get sick but it never seems to work and I always end up with a shit ton of sugar pills sitting next to the sudafed after a few days). I DO think that the supplements my besty was forcing down my hatch every day the week before the wedding were awesome and very helpful in preventing my usual stress related illnesses. I might even be sold enough to spend the cash (once I get a job that is) to get the chewy supplements and make a 3 month trial out of it. I do OK with fruits and veggies but damn I was feeling GOOD leading up to the wedding and it certainly wasn't because I was eating well and getting lots of sleep. What do you guys think? Anyone have a favorite supplement or favorite "cure" for the common cold or flu? Anyone have a favorite stress busting plan other than the age old sleep well, eat well and run around the block to burn down some of that cortisol?

I will keep you posted on the man's recovery from whatever the hell this thing is (all I know is that it is NOT sexy). I will also look forward to hearing any one's favorite tips and tricks to calm an angry belly. Hope you are all doing better than the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment