Saturday, August 18, 2012

If everyone knew how glam breastfeeding is they'd all be doing it

So, I have been back to work for a month now and all in all its going pretty well. Pumping is hugely inconvenient and way more stressful than I had anticipated. That said, I am thrilled to be producing enough milk to more than keep up with her demand, no matter how crappy it feels to have to put my ambulance out of service to pump OR worse yet, to be trying to stealth pump without going out of service and to get a 911 call as soon as I manage to let down. Ffffff! Its the worst.

Yes, I am managing, even with the crazy crazy heat, to keep up. I am not however, managing to do it without a price. I have a totally awful yeast infection (breast not lady land) and it is 1.Super hard to get rid of and 2.Makes me want to drive my car off a bridge. Seriously! I have painful lumps and sore pink nipples and owie owie owie!
I saw a lactation consultant last week and she gave me ideas. The problem is that during the work week I dont have time to take proper care of my gear or my "gear". If I am pumping in back of the rig (ewww gross! Hate soo much!) I dont have access to a sink or any other way to clean up. When I get to a hospital and get to pump in a real pumping room I have only so much time and thus rush around maybe getting to steam my gear maybe not. It sucks to feel so rushed and to have to hurry to the point of giving myself this infection. I hear people when they say "you have to just do what is best for your baby and work can wait" but unfortunately that just wont work. I need to be a team player. I need to keep my dispatcher happy. I need to write charts, and care for patients. Like I said, this is a LOT harder and more stressful than I ever expected. So, here I am. I think I need to call my midwives. I think I need some meds to help with this. I am sore and exasperated. I feel like a failure for not keeping clean and healthy. I want to just go back to being home and not pumping four times a day. I want a money tree in the back yard.... And a pony.

3 comments:

  1. You are a serious rock star, lady. Such a sweet photo. Makes me miss nursing :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, thrush?! So sorry hon. Is it yogurt and gentian violet time, or is it mild?

    Have you tried the Medela cleaning wipes? If I don't have time to rinse out my parts, I wipe them down with one of these. Plus I keep my parts in the same bag with my milk, which has an ice pack in it, and that seems to help keep them fresher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how she looks like she's hanging on for dear life! (Well, she kinda is!) Take care of yourself, I hope things improve soon. <3

    ReplyDelete