Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The first 3 days of leave

Holy SHIT!  I am exhausted!  I worked my last day on Thursday and my mother in law came to town that night.  Friday commenced "CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!" She brought supplies and energy and that maternal "just keep working until its all done" drive.  We stripped all the curtains down and washed them, she scrubbed every inch of my kitchen.  She washed all of the windowsills and vacuumed above and below.  She had the hubbs move furniture in the living room and guest room and she vacuumed all of those as well.  I went top to bottom on our office and then spent several hours scrubbing every inch of the bathroom on hands and knees.  Things look CLEAN even if we ran out of spray starch the morning she was heading back to Eugene and there are still curtains on the table (for now) and a few other things awaiting the completion of the upstairs paint job before they can be put away.

Oh yeah, so we are painting our bedroom too.  Since G sort of had to pull all the furniture away from the wall to rewire the upstairs (back when I was in my fever coma last week) we decided that there is no way in hell we will paint the bedroom in the next two years if we don't do it now so here we go!  Infact, I am stalling getting dressed and starting the prep process RIGHT NOW.  :)

The baby shower was on Sunday and let me tell you a thing or two...I have the most creative, generous group of friends and community.  We were given some really wonderful things.  Even more precious, I was surrounded by 20+ of the coolest women I know for several hours chatting, laughing, getting (welcomed) belly rubs.  I felt very special and very loved.  There was only minimal talk about my being insane for having a home birth.  **I like to say "planning for" instead of "having" a home birth because I know things can happen and I want to let the universe know I am open to whatever ends up being necessary but if I have any control over it and as long as baby and I are safe, it will be at home.  It just feels jinxy to say "I'm having a home birth" like the universe will say "oh yeah?  Well no you're not".  Neurotic I know.  Remember how I felt about wedding "vows"?**  Anyway, there were veggies and fruit salad and wonderful cupcakes.  It was a beautiful spread.  My three sweetest friends worked very hard to pull it all together staying up late baking starfish cookies and cleaning.  I am a bit at a loss of how to thank them.

My quilt was completed and washed and soft and BEAUTIFUL!  My dear friend Jessie put hours and hours of love into it and I can't wait to wrap the sweetness of that quilt around this little creature when he/she arrives.  We got wooden toys (baby's first ambulance), diaper service, clothes (tiny dinosaur suit), hand made quilts (My friend Liz made a perfect travel quilt), hand made stuffed animals like platypus, starfish and turtles.  We got learning toys (food chain friend), a home brewing book (thanks Gabe!), a mobile and some much appreciated gift cards...the list goes ON and ON.  The generosity was overwhelming.  We aren't going to need to buy much at ALL.

So, today, I am washing walls, taping and doing the edging hopefully before G gets home from his meetings.  We WILL paint this room today.  As exhausted as I am I am energized with the "nesting" fever I was sure I would never feel.  I want things to be perfectly comfortable and as clean as possible before this little one arrives.  I know I have almost 2 months left but the need to get the super heavy duty stuff done now while I am still able and have help is overwhelming.  So, I am downloading an audio book, putting on my work stretch pants and getting going.  Even as the dogs snore and the snow flurries fly outside my window I can feel the spring fast approaching and with it the opening of the leaves on the trees and the mud in the yard and this new person into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment