Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Workout

I have been out of physical therapy for a little over a month now and things have been going really well. My shins are adjusting to the increasing distances and I am running stronger and faster than ever. I think my little "time out" was a real blessing in disguise. I learned to LOVE the gym, appreciate my physical limitations and worship cross training and strength work. It isn't the same as a nice long run outside but the elliptical is my new best friend. I have been taking the 5lb hand weights and doing hill intervals for 35-45min. It is amazing how much more you will sweat holding 10 extra pounds. I got in the habit of doing "exercise routines" at the gym while I was in PT as I had my weekly assignments for stretching and strengthening my cranky gastrocnemius and soleus. I got used to the routines and started to see a huge difference in my body and my running. As far as weight loss there is no better fuel for the fat burning fire than mobilizing muscle metabolism. As far as running, the more I focused on balance and strength training in my back, legs and core, the easier running became. I was no longer struggling to maintain my form as I ran. Including some upper body work helped me stave off fatigue and increase my pace. I also noticed that I was beginning to require less "food" (for whatever value of food "Gu" is) during my runs. I used to need a Gu on any run after about 4miles. I would start to feel cranky and spacey and like my legs were turning to cement. After I began my cross training/strength training work I noticed I was lasting longer...5-6-7miles before I need "food". In addition to all of this...I lost about 12lbs in about 8 weeks, Thank you Weight Watchers! So...this whole monologue leads me to today's point. I have done a little homework and I created a new workout routine that is T-O-U-G-H! I was drenched in sweat and exhausted by the time I was done. So without further adeu...here is the latest and greatest. Enjoy....give it a try....take on a new challenge....let me know if you do.

1. Warm up. I like anywhere from 30-50min on the elliptical sometimes with hand weights. 20 min on the bike would do the trick too.
2. BIG CIRCLES: using a 5#-20# round weight that normally goes on the end of a bench press bar, keep your arms straight, feet shoulder width apart and starting with the weight over head and the legs straight, rotate the weight in a large circle. When you get to the bottom you are in a squat. Do 5-10 to the left then repeat on the right.
3. WOOD CHOPPERS: I use a weighted squishy ball 6# for this but the same weight you used above would work. Start with feet little wider than hip width apart, arms straight. Swing the weight up over the shoulder like you would an axe or a golf club. Allow the torso to twist and the leg to pivot (sort of like a golf swing). From the top, bring the arms (straight straight!) down, across the body to the opposite side squatting down as you bring it closer to the floor. Repeat 3-10 times on one side then repeat on the opposite side.
4. PUSH-UPS: Easy: against wall Moderate: on knees Hard: old fashioned style. 5-20
5. ROLL UPS: lay flat on the ground with legs out and arms straight out over head. Starting with arms roll up (no hitching in the middle) and over, stretch over legs and roll (gracefully ; ) back down to the ground. The key with this classic Pilate's move is to keep is fluid, slow and graceful. If this is too easy add a medicine ball or do the other classic Pilates move 'The Teaser'
6. RUNNER POPS: Stand on one leg with your arms at 90 degree angle at your waist. Pull the other leg up to a 90 degree angle at hip and knee. Bend at the waist over the standing leg. You should feel like you are the roadrunner about to take off. When you bend down go slowly so that you work the balance muscles and be sure to engage your abs. Come up slowly and then repeat. 10 per side. I can't find the link to this one sorry. You are basically using the form you would be in for high knee skips but staying put. Hint: To help keep balance sink into your hip on the balance leg. Use that deep bend in the hip to anchor you.
7. ROCKET JUMPS: Squat down with your legs hip width apart and arms straight back (like you are about to take off in a rocket) repeat 10 times.
8.CROSS OVER STANDING CRUNCH: Holding the medicine ball or the squishy ball OR the 10lb round weight straighten arms reaching tall to the right. Then bring arms in and down across the body while bringing opposite knee in (you are standing on one foot). 10 on one side. 10 on other side. Go slow on this one. The ab engagement is key as is the balancing. You are strengthening all those little stabilizer muscles in your standing leg.
9. LUNGES: This should be self explanatory. 10 on R 10 on L.
10. CRUNCHES: Also self explanatory. 10-30 depending on how easy it is for you.
11. TRICEP DIP: This is like a backwards pushup. Repeat x10
12. ROW: Use the weight that feels challenging to you Repeat x10

Repeat...Be ready to feel sore in the morning. The squats and lunges will help you build some killer strength in the legs but first there will be soreness. Enjoy! Modify as you wish. I am finding it a good hard workout to do 30min on the elliptical and then three rounds of this going from one exercise to the next with as little break as possible. Get ready to sweat!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet!! I'm going to wait for my shoulder to get a bit better, and then I'll give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete